Saturday, 10 August 2013

Open House - Melbourne 27/28 July

Yes over my Birthday Weekend.

What a great event.  Showcasing the buildings of Melbourne both within and without.  You could visit several of 111 open properties (somehow that smacks of real estate sales) from private apartments to the public baths, from galleries to architects offices and from hospitals to the cemetery!

All have something to offer from surprising views (Orica House and 117 Collins) to tours of private museums (Royal College of Surgeons).

Well I got to see one or two buildings - and then as an informed volunteer I was off to my post giving tours of the Melbourne City Baths.

Watch out for my potted history of the baths to follow......

But I also volunteered a half day to promote the Open House weekend on the prior wednesday.  Wow.  Interesting to chat to some, smile and hand a leaflet to others (something about a leaflet promoting LOVE makes people give you slightly odd looks I found)
 BTW this is not me in the picture!

Anyway I had a good time with my partner in crime for the day - Vicky - and we coped with the Liverpool fans, elderly ladies and Architecture students.  More than that we heard the stories about Manchester Unity Building, old Melbourne and gave transport directions too!

No comments:

Post a Comment